Tree Drawing Analysis 2
Drawings Interpreted for:
One Family’s Children
Information and Recommendation
from Your Children’s Drawings
These children are obviously bright and creative
They see their parents as aligned to one another…
(not separate and divided)
All have vibrancy.. the middle child has the least energy and it may be because she feels “responsible”. Outside forces are getting lots of her energy from this feeling of responsibility. It may be school work, her extracurricular activity, or feeling responsible for others, but it shows up.
1. Dad can greatly influence the two year old. Two year olds respond to behavior modification. Your two-year old watches and emulates his Dad. Dad should make an extreme effort to:
Control any anger response tendencies,
Temper Tantrums, Irritating, Teasing, or Whining, Or Acting out behavior of any kind in front of this youngest child
There is a saying that you should never do anything that you don’t want replicated in your children’s lives. That saying is alive and well with this two year old. He is already imitating all behavior of Dad. Therefore, he will imitate the very good behavior also and will strongly “act like Dad”. This shows up powerfully in the drawing because of how the sisters drew the situation. Also, the youngest’s drawings show he is currently blowing very good and very bad.
2. Encourage Your oldest child to be more of a peer to her siblings rather than a surrogate parent. She has aligned to the role of authority figure. Do not allow her or encourage her to reprimand her siblings. Encourage her to positively influence by good behavior just like Dad is influencing the youngest.
Reward her for doing this and ignore her “tattletales” and tell her: “Don’t reprimand your brother and sister”. “Enjoy them while all of you are growing up together.” “I want all of you to love, honor, and be loyal to one another. You will always have one another if you develop this type relationship.”
3. Encourage your middle child to enjoy herself more and have more fun. Do this by saying: “that was fun”…” We need to do some more fun things like this”. Like the first born, do not encourage her to reprimand her brother. This will release her from feeling responsible for his actions and by his emulating his Dad, Dad will by positive behavior do the main influencing of the youngest. Relieving the other two children from having to influence their brother.
4. The middle child will get lots of stress release by physical activity, a drawing class, a dance class, etc., but will not respond positively to people “talking to her” about making significant changes. She will tune a large percentage of talking that she perceives as a reprimand out by her selective hearing. (Without the neck, she might resort to stubbornness if she feels verbally nagged.)
5. If the parents have problems with: Being able to set boundaries with others, they should look at the two older of their children. These very bright girls have learned at an early age to set some boundaries and say “no”. They may not do it with their little brother or their parents, but their drawings show that they do do it and it is a very positive thing. Remember, “ and a little child shall lead them.” “ The Truth shall set you free.”
For the parents if they need to set a boundary, they might start with one another by emulating their children and their ability to set boundaries.
For example: if one parent has a teasing habit that irritates the other parent of the children, the one being teased and irritated might say:
“No, that is bothering me. It causes me distress. It bruises my feelings and I am asking you to consider my feelings and not do that to me any longer.” “I feel you will honor my request.”
Thanks for the opportunity to view these bright, creative children’s drawings. The parents lost an opportunity by not drawing a tree with the children. Too much is known about it now for the parents tree drawings or family drawings to be without façade and come directly from the subconscious.
The children’s drawings did show many positives to build upon. There were some very minor negative patterns which can easily be altered by stroking the positive behavior and not stroking the negatives.
Cheryl W. Martin, MSW, LGSW
Click below to see their Tree Drawings: